Royal Aero Club of South Australia
The Australian Aero Club was formed in 1914 at Point Cook, Victoria. After World War 1, the club was revived by returning airmen and branches were formed in each state. The club lobbied for seven years for proper organisation and control of the aviation industry. In 1926, the Department of Civil Aviation was formed and the commonwealth government subsidised Aero clubs in each of the capital cities. The Adelaide section of the Australian Aero Club was formed on 24th August 1926. On 12th November 1929, the name was changed to the Aero Club of South Australia. On 4th August 1936, it had another name change and became the 'Royal Aero Club of South Australia'. The club ceased to exist in 1981.
SAAM History Group member Mike Milln has just published Book 2 of his Royal Aero Club of South Australia history. (Book 1, covering the 1926-1941 period, was published in 2011.) Book 2 covers the 40 postwar years until the Club's failure. This is a warts-and-all story that is sad in some parts and funny in others. But it's much more than just an aero club history – it also describes the context within which the club operated – the national aero clubs movement and the changing postwar aviation policy and regulatory environments that spelled its downfall. It is a must read for anybody connected with the club and/or interested in the part the aero club movement played in Australia's aviation development.
You can buy the book at SAAM, at Dymocks and Adelaide Booksellers in Adelaide's Rundle Mall, and/or on-line at: Mike Milln Books
SAAM has a Royal Aero Club display and some of the Royal Aero Club's Archives. The RAC display is on the mezzanine in Hangar 1. The RAC archives are in storage and will be indexed later.